LONDON – Final week, Prime Minister, Theresa May announced a proposal that would have a big impression on Pagans and members of earth-based perception methods dwelling in the England and Wales.
The Regulation Fee will perform a two-year evaluation of marriage guidelines. Presently weddings in England and Wales are required to be held in a spot of worship or one other building licensed to carry legal ceremonies of that nature. Legally recognized weddings are prohibited from being performed outdoors in nature, or anyplace that isn’t a licensed structure. Scotland doesn’t have the identical restrictions on places.
May stated, “The vital institution of marriage is a strong symbol of wider society’s desire to celebrate commitment between partners. But we can do more to bring the laws on marriage ceremonies up to date and to support couples in celebrating their commitment.”
A report revealed by the Regulation Commission in late 2015, raised considerations of inconsistency in the laws governing marriage. The evaluate of wedding ceremony venues was commissioned by a conservative and liberal authorities coalition the same yr, and found that providing wider decisions might make marriages more reasonably priced and more private.
The evaluation elicited a response from the government that such modifications would create more complicated points of equality with spiritual and secular ceremonies. The choice of venues is governed by the Marriage Act 1949. Nonetheless, the bulk of laws relating to marriage have not been broadly reformed since 1836.
“Whilst we will always preserve the dignity of marriage, people from all walks of life should be able to express their vows in a way that is meaningful to them,” stated David Gauke, Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor.
Gauke also stated, “This review will look at the red tape and outdated rules around weddings – making sure our laws are fit for modern life.”
Whereas it is going to be 2021 before the evaluation is accomplished and recommendations on modifications are made to the federal government, if adopted, allowing weddings to take place at the sea shore and even in a personal backyard might make an enormous difference for Pagans.
May is because of step down from her position as Prime Minister as quickly as her successor is chosen, and it’s going to finally be beneath the leadership of that individual to manage any modifications to marriage laws.
* * *
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Ladies’s reproductive rights have been within the news final week when a five-month-pregnant lady, Marshae Jones, 27, was charged with manslaughter that stemmed from her involvement in an altercation with another lady that ended with Jones being shot in the abdomen and killing the fetus she was carrying.
As we’ve got reported, some members within the Pagan group have voiced critical considerations and outrage over a collection of laws which were handed in the previous few months that prohibit ladies’s reproductive rights, and try and criminalize abortion and even miscarriages.
The fees towards Jones for manslaughter seem notably odd since Ebony Jemison, the lady who fired the shot that finally terminated Jones’ pregnancy was not indicted by a grand jury after deciding her actions have been in self-defense.
Jones was indicted by the identical grand jury. The indictment said Jones did “intentionally cause the death” of “Unborn Baby Jones by initiating a fight knowing she was five months pregnant.” The district lawyer’s workplace has not yet made a decision as to whether they prosecute the case.
A outstanding Birmingham regulation agency, White Arnold & Dowd, issued a press release on Friday that they are representing Jones. Monday morning, lawyer Mark White filed a motion in courtroom asking the state of Alabama to dismiss the fees towards Jones calling them, “unreasonable, irrational, and unfounded.”
Opponents of reproductive legal guidelines they see as oppressive have been outspoken on comparable points and instances prior to now. Response to this latest case from the surface and inside the Pagan group has been muted, at greatest.
The chief director of National Advocates for Pregnant Ladies, Lynn Paltrow advised the Associated Press that Alabama presently leads the nation in charging ladies for crimes related to their pregnancies. She stated tons of have been prosecuted for operating afoul of the state’s “chemical endangerment of a child” statute by exposing their embryo or fetus to controlled substances.
But this is the first time she’s heard of a pregnant lady being charged after getting shot.
“This takes us to a new level of inhumanity and illegality towards pregnant women,” Paltrow stated. “I can’t think of any other circumstance where a person who themselves is a victim of a crime is treated as the criminal.”
In a associated story, The Satanic Temple (TST) counter-protested towards a gaggle of evangelicals in Chicago over the weekend. TST displayed a banner that learn, “End Forced Motherhood” and umbrellas with giant pentagrams emblazoned on them on an overpass proper subsequent to group holding indicators proclaiming, “Abortion takes a human life” and “Honk against abortion.” TST Chicago Chapter posted footage of their Fb web page together with hyperlinks for his or her spiritual reproductive rights web site.
* * *
COUNTY MEATH, Eire – One of the “wishing trees” on the Hill of Tara near Skryne in County Meath, Eire, fell because of the weight of clouties, charms, and coins that had been tied or affixed to it. The tree that fell was one of a pair on the location. Visitors at the moment are being asked to refrain from adding another materials to the remaining tree. The Hill of Tara is an historic ceremonial and burial website, and tradition holds that it was the inaugural website of Irish Kings and is included in Irish mythology and folklore.
Additionally on the Hill of Tara, in response to the The Irish Occasions, an American couple, Jeff Olsen and Anna Lisa Van Bloem, from Utah had a standard Celtic handfasting in the course of the summer time solstice. Unfortunately, thieves stole all the footage “from their photographer’s car boot, along with electrical items, passports and clothing, at the base of the hill”. The photographer is the bride’s brother and the couple was hoping to point out the footage to their eight youngsters
“We were kind of distraught when we found out. Our whole ceremony was bound by our children, so it would be very special if the kids could see it,” Olsen is reported as saying.
Meanwhile, a bystander who took some pictures of the couple’s ceremony despatched them what she had. The groom says that “his faith in Ireland had been restored by the kindness he and his partner had experienced in the aftermath of the robbery.”
The couple is providing a €500 reward for the return of the arduous drive that held the footage.
In different news:
- In an replace to a narrative we reported on in February, last week Leonora Joseph, 76, was ordered to be removed from the courtroom room after an outburst and regularly muttering during Samantha Ginsberg’s testimony. Joseph and her son, Mark, 45, are accused of continued and repeated harassment of Ginsberg and her seven-year-old daughter, who has autism. The Joseph’s consider that Ginsberg and her daughter follow witchcraft and are chargeable for well being issues the elder Joseph has skilled. Joseph shouted, “Jesus kill her!” throughout Ginsberg’s testimony, resulting in district decide Andrew Sweet telling the defendent, “Mrs Joseph, I gave you two warnings, I said you must not interrupt the witness’ evidence. I will not tolerate you sitting and making comments that are inappropriate.” While leaving the courtroom, Leonora Joseph allegedly advised Sweet, “God be your judge.” TWH will continue to comply with this case and report on the result.
- The band Tuatha Dea is arising on its ten-year anniversary, and is within the course of of producing a brand new album to have fun. The group rolled out a brand new fundraiser for “Project X” on Indiegogo final month. As half of teaser for the new album they’ve been sharing one of the songs that might be featured, “The Black Douglas” on Fb and different social media platforms. The band plans to launch a vinyl edition of the recording if they exceed their funding objectives.
In “witch-hunt” and related news:
- A 50-year-old lady, Sunita Devi who has been accused of training “witchcraft,” was murdered within the Indian province, Nayatola Bhawanpur. She was shot at the Kharik railway station. Kharik police have named a number of individuals as suspects in the capturing, and are working with railway police to arrest those involved.
- In another case of “witch-hunting” a 50-year-old lady and her daughter have been brutally murdered in Rowaoli village in the West Singhbhum district of Jharkhand in India. The names of the women murdered were not listed in any information studies, only that they have been the spouse and daughter of Subhash Khandait. Several information stories listed a conflict over land rights, and that those accused of the murders has circulated rumours of “black magic” and “witchcraft” practices towards the two ladies among the villagers.
- The charges of sickle-cell anemia in African nations accounts for almost 70% of the 300,000 infants born with the disease world-wide. 30% of the instances are discovered in the Western and Nyanza regions of Kenya and steadily go undiagnosed due belief the cause of the illness is “witchcraft” or misdiagnosed as malaria. Sheilah Abebe from Ball State University Faculty of Nursing who was part of a analysis program with Masinde Muliro College, urged the federal government to hold out in depth awareness campaigns to teach the populations of the regions the place the illness is most outstanding, in addition to provide medical help and screenings.
- The outcomes of a current survey have been revealed in Ranchi, Jharkland, India final week at an event organized by the Association for Advocacy and Legal Initiatives (AALI) and included a quantity of attorneys, civil society representatives, and authorities officials and requires consideration to witch-hunts to be treated equally as human trafficking in awareness and justice campaigns. The survey, carried out in eight districts of the state [Jharkland] showed that more than half of the women murdered in consequence of “witch-hunts” have been between 40 and 50 years of age. The breakdown of the findings: 33% of the victims of witch-hunting are ladies above 51 years of age; 24.2% are within the 41-50 years age group; 28.8% are within the 31-40 years age bracket; and 21.6% within the 21-30 years age group. “Witch-hunting should be given the same importance and treated on a par with human trafficking,” stated Kalyani Sharan, chairperson of the state ladies’s commission. “Instead of just terming witch-hunting as a fallout of superstition and bad social customs, it should treated as a violation of the fundamental rights of the victim,” stated Shubhangi, AALI challenge coordinator from Lucknow.
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Symbolon: The Deck of Remembrance, by Peter Orban, Ingrid Zinnel, and Thea Weller, revealed by U.S. Games Methods, Inc.
Card: The Black Mass
This week may call into question what opinions are held and why. Contemplate what’s being pledged earlier than committing to the taking or giving of oaths, and what the broader connotations could be.
Decks generously offered by Asheville Raven & Crone